Animals rarely appear in the BBC series. For vampires animals are uninteresting. They need human blood. Werewolves hunt animals during a fullmoon night. After such a night they often wake up next to a dead a animal, which they have killed in their werewolf form. Animals often don't react differently towards humans, werewolves in human form or vampires. However when Mitchell, Annie and George walk through Bristol together, cats, pigeons, dogs, fishes, births, horses and a fox are frightened. (Trailer 1) It's unknown whether animals can sense the presence of ghosts or not.
Most of the animals that are seen or mentioned in the series are pets (mainly dogs) or animals that have been killed by a werewolf.
- Trevor: a goldfish, that Mitchell gives to Lucy after she lost her own goldfish.
- Tiny: the yorkshire terrier of Simon and his wife.
- Titania: the pet schnauzer of Alistair Frith.
- Bruno: the dog of the Box Tunnel 20 Massacre victim Matthew Nelson.
- Biscuit: Kaz's and Gail's young puppy dog (Labrador).
- Coco: a yellow budgerigar, killed by Hal York
- Cheep Cheep: a blue budgerigar, killed by Hal